1.5kg Pork Belly from Feast! Fine Foods
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flaked sea salt
1 cup organic black quinoa (rinsed, drained)
2 Lenswood Pink Lady apples
1 bulb fennel
1 bunch dill (fresh or pickled)
1L Chicken Stock
1 Navel orange – peeled
Pinch fennel seeds
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 golden shallot
1 bay leaf
1 bottle Pike & Joyce 2016 Chardonnay ‘Sirocco’
1. Preheat oven to 220c (200c fan-forced)
2. Score pork skin. Rub in half the oil and salt, pressing salt into the scored skin. Place pork, skin side up, in a large roasting pan. Roast for approximately 1.25 hours.
3. In a saucepan over low heat, add a splash of olive oil, the shallots and garlic and sweat until soft. Add a good splash of Chardonnay to deglaze the pan. Add the fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and chicken stock simmering until the sauce thickens and is fragrant. Strain the sauce into a clean saucepan, season to taste and set aside in a warm place.
4. Place quinoa and 2 cups (500ml) of water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer for 15mins or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and use a fork to fluff the grains. Please note, use as little or as much quinoa in your final salad as you like.
5. Back to the pork... After approximately 1.25 hours of cooking turn the oven temperature down to 200c (180c fan-forced) and continue to roast for around 30mins or until the meat is tender. Remove from oven. Rest the pork in a warm place for 10mins.
6. Meanwhile, using a mandoline, shave the radish, apple and fennel and place into a bowl. Cut the orange into small pieces and add to the bowl. Finally add the quinoa and mix to combine. Season to taste. Spoon the quinoa into a mound on a warmed serving platter or warm individual plates.
7. Using a sharp knife, carve the pork into thick slices and arrange on top of the quinoa.
8. Finally, pour the sauce over the pork and garnish with the dill to finish the dish.
Now pour yourself a glass of Pike & Joyce 2016 Chardonnay ‘Sirocco’ and feast!